The Watch Stone

Although there is only one great stone to be seen here today, records indicate that the stump of another stone was discovered during road building operations in 1930. It has sometimes been suggested that there may have been a more extensive stone circle here, but there is no evidence for this and it is more likely that the Watch Stone is the sole survivor of a paired stone setting. Two further stones lie to the other side of the Bridge of Brodgar and there may well have been other pairs along the isthmus.

Return to the walking tour