The Brodgar Peninsula lies at the heart of Neolithic Orkney; it was a sacred landscape that was visited at different times during the year by communities from across Orkney and further afield. Many of the Neolithic monuments have survived and most of them can be visited by the public.
We do not know for certain why this location was chosen as special, but it is likely to have something to do with the natural amphitheatre formed by the hills that ring the area and with the balance of land and sky visible from the centre.
In 1774 George Low published this bird’s eye view of the Brodgar Peninsula in his ’Tour of the islands of Orkney’. It shows the location of sites such as the Odin Stone that have since been destroyed and is interesting because of the activity he presents at the sites: they were clearly significant at the time.